Friday, September 14, 2007

It is the Centennial after all...


I know, I know, I just DON'T go to the state fair. It is dirty, crowded, stinky, creepy and all those things. However, it is the Centennial Expo and I'm trying to really do as much celebrating as possible this year. Also, as you can see from the ticket stubs, it was only $1.00 to get into the fair yesterday. (100 pennies, get it? Yes, so did the man at the ticket booth. He was so-o-o-o happy to see three one-dollar bills!!!) Anyway, back to the fair. We arrived with the other twelve billion and two (cheap) people who wanted to be there on opening day. We had corndogs, ice cream (Ethan),and more corndogs (Ethan). Cause that's what you do at the fair. We checked out the "flea market buildings"...amazing what you could buy at the fair should the urge strike. Daniel played one carney game and won an orange rubber bracelet. He had fun so it was worth twice the price of admission! And best of all, we went through the Made in Oklahoma building and saw First Prize jelly, cookies, candy, amazing decorated cakes and of course MANY QUILTS! Beautiful Centennial quilts with almost watercolor backgrounds, lots of waving wheat, covered wagons, cowboys, indians, surries with fringe. I was transported back to teeny girlhood and going to the fair with Grandma Pat who loved to do the buildings, all the buildings, until we thought our legs would surely fall off and she never got tired. It was worth dealing with the stinky port-o-potty, corn-dog grease all over my jeans, semi-intoxicated (well, not so semi actually) people dressed in various renditions of fair clothes...think, shirts unbuttoned halfway down and 3 chest hairs showing(eek) or short skirts and high heels (it's the fair...). Barkers yelling, "Hey, doll, c'mere" (not a chance)to see the kids having a blast, a fabulous fireworks display and to remember what it was like to love the fair. It was the fair, the Great State Fair of Oklahoma. Go, it's fun!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

OkieGran said...

Yea, we are not alone.....yes, would you believe we went to the fair too! We went about 6 pm, hiked in from the parking lot, and by then too tired to do much, but did ride the trolley around twice, so got to see a lot that way. We did manage to stop at Dan's Famous Indian Taco and indulge in our favorite thing at the fair, a humongus plate full of fry bread, beans, cheese, (found 1 speck of hamburger) and the hottest taco sauce in town! Mum Mum Good! If we go back (doubtful) we will have a cinnamon roll. Fun! glad you guys had such a good time. I had for gotten how much Grandma P. liked the fair, good times.

TransplantedOkie said...

Our little county fair is in town and I am going early this morning to see who won the ribbon for the quilt.

I had one too many cream filled donuts in celelbration yesterday so I am leaving funnel cakes etc alone.

At least that is my plan for now...